1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 180°C fan.
2. Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. When warm add your garlic, ginger and chilli and sauté until they start to soften, for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the rest of the oil along with the soy sauce, mustard, vinegars and sugar.
3. Season with pepper and, if needed, salt.
4. Raise the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil and simmer until slightly reduced and thickened to a sauce-like consistency, which should take about 10 minutes.
5. While this is happening combine all your stuffing ingredients together until it holds together- you may need to add a little more hot water to make this happen. Push the majority of the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken, and roll any extra into small balls to lay around your chicken in the roasting tray.
6. Place chicken in a large roasting pan and liberally brush the outside with sauce. Keep some back to drizzle over at the end. Transfer chicken to oven to cook, basting periodically, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Because the cooking time will vary a fair amount depending on the size of you chicken its best to insert a thermometer into thickest part of thigh. When it registers 80°C and the juices run clear you know its ready to take out.
7. Remove the chicken from the oven, transfer to a platter, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 15 minutes.
8. While the chicken is resting, place your roasting pan on the stovetop over a medium-high heat and add your wine or marsala/sherry, rosemary sprigs and dried mushrooms. Bring to the boil, scraping browned bits off of bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Lower heat to a gentle simmer and continue to cook until reduced, which should take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Strain through a sieve into a small saucepan and keep on a low heat until ready to serve.
Heat a medium size frying pan on high with a tablespoon of sesame oil and when smoking, add in your greens all at once, tossing continuously until just tender.
Serves 4 with plenty of leftovers.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr 40
For the chicken:
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons ginger, freshly grated
2 green chillies, finely chopped
4 tablespoons soy sauce
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar – an extra tablespoon of rice wine vinegar will do as an alternative
2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
Sea salt and black pepper
1 large free range chicken, preferably organic
1/2 cup dry white wine, marsala or sherry
2 rosemary sprigs
1 tablespoon dried porcini or wild mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
For the stuffing:
100g The Food Doctor Super Seeds Mix
3 x The Food Doctor Cereal & Multiseed Pitta breads, blitzed into breadcrumbs
1 free range egg
Zest of two limes
Good handful coriander, leaves picked
Sea salt and fresh black pepper
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
For the asian greens:
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 pak choi, cut into quarters lengthways
1 bunch green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 cup frozen petits pois
4 spring onions, sliced thinly