This week we’ve launched our band new turmeric pitta bread into Waitrose and one of our favourite ways to enjoy them is dunked into a freshly made dip. However, shop bought dips can often be high in fat and salt, and contain lots of ingredients like refined sugar and preservatives. Try our quick and easy homemade beetroot, horseradish and feta dip, or our refreshing tzatziki dip.
Beetroot, horseradish and feta
This colourful dip will definitely brighten up your picnic. Beetroot is an excellent source of the B vitamin folate, which is vital for the formation of our oxygen carrying red blood cells and for maternal tissue growth during pregnancy. It also contains the antioxidant betacyanin which helps to protect against free radicals which can damage healthy cells. Horseradish pairs well with the beetroot and helps give this dip a little kick.
1. Add the beetroot to the blender and blend for 20 seconds.
2. Add the yogurt, garlic, lemon, vinegar, horseradish and salt and pepper to the blender, and blend until combined but so it still has texture.
3. Place into a bowl and crumble the feta on top or stir through.
4. Enjoy with toasted pitta bread and crudités, or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Light and refreshing tzatziki
This dip is a staple in Turkish and Greek cuisine, where it is served with meat or fish, with a mezze or alongside freshly baked bread. It’s easy to whip together and only requires a few kitchen essentials. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of high quality protein for the working muscles, calcium for healthy bones, and probiotic bacteria which helps to keep the digestive system functioning.
1. In a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, and give it a good stir.
2. Skin the cucumber with a knife or peeler, and cut or scrape out the seeds into the bin (as this is where most of the water content is). Grate half of the cucumber onto a piece of kitchen towel, squeeze out some of the juice and add the cucumber to the bowl. Cut the remaining cucumber into small cubes and add it to the bowl, then give it all a good stir.
3. Chop the mint leaves up finely and add to the bowl along with the salt and pepper.
4. Enjoy with lamb, pitta bread and crudités, or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Keep an eye out for more dips recipes coming soon.
Beetroot, horseradish and feta:
1 packet of vacuum packet beetroot (300g)
2 tbsp. Greek yogurt (or for vegans use Oatly crème fraiche)
2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
Juice and zest of half lemon
1.5 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp horseradish sauce
Pinch salt and pepper
Light and refreshing tzatziki:
250g Greek yogurt
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic
Juice of half lemon
Half a large cucumber (150g)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Small handful mint leaves, finely chopped