There’s nothing we enjoy more than inviting friends or family over for a delicious feast. These black bean fajitas are quick and easy to make, and can be on the table in 30 minutes. We’ve used wholemeal wraps instead of white wraps, and made the salsa, guacamole and spice mix from scratch. Lay it all out on the table and let the family tuck in.
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion (saving ¼ for the salsa) and peppers, and sprinkle over the spices. Allow to cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly.
2. While the peppers are frying, make the salsa and guacamole. For the salsa, finely dice the red onion and add to a small bowl with the tomatoes, chilli, a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of the chopped coriander. Give it a good stir and set aside. For the guacamole, add the avocado flesh to a small bowl with the rest of the lime and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roughly mash the avocado so it’s still chunky by creamy, then set aside.
3. Once the peppers have softened slightly, add the black beans to the pan with the peppers. Cook until heated through or for around 3 minutes. Then squeeze over any leftover lime.
4. Warm the tortillas in a microwave or dry frying pan.
5. Add the hot pan to the table with the salsa, guacamole, yogurt, rocket and coriander. Lay everything out on the table so you and your guests can build your own fajitas.
Serves: 2-3 people
Drizzle of olive oil
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 red or yellow peppers, cut into strips
1 small courgette, cut into thin strips
Spices – 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 pinch of ground cumin, or 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp coriander and pinch cayenne pepper. garlic, salt, pepper
3 large or a handful of cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
½ inch fresh red chilli, finely diced
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Bunch of coriander, roughly chopped (stalks and leaves)
Half tin black beans, rinsed
1 ripe avocado, halved and destoned – smashed with half a lime, and pinch of salt and pepper (maybe pinch dried chilli flakes)
Wholemeal, seeded or corn wraps (mini or large)