These lemon and pistachio balls take less than 10 minutes to make and they’re great as a mid-afternoon snack or for an energy boost before the gym. We’ve used pistachios and cashews which are rich in healthy fats, and combined them with the refreshing taste of lemon. We’ve added chia seeds as their an excellent source of omega 3, calcium and fibre, and used medjool dates to sweeten the balls.
1. Begin by making the pistachio crumb to coat the balls. Add 50g of pistachios to a food processor and blend until a crumb forms with a few chunky bits remaining. Add this mix to a small bowl.
2. To make the balls, add the pistachios and cashews to the blender, and blend on high until the nuts are broken down but still a little chunky.
3. Add the chia seeds, nut butter, grated lemon zest and lemon juice, and blend.
4. Leaving the blender running, drop in the pitted medjool dates one at a time.
5. The mix is now ready to roll into balls. The mix will make approximately 10 medium size balls but you can make them whatever size you like. Squeeze the mix together in your hand and roll to form a ball. Then roll each ball in the pistachio crumb. The balls will keep in the fridge for a few days or you can freeze them and take one out in the morning on your way to work.
Makes 10 balls
Prep time: less than 10 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
120g raw, unsalted pistachios, plus 50g to coat the balls
60g raw, unsalted cashews
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. almond or cashew butter
Zest of half a lemon
2 tbsp. lemon juice
5 medjool dates, pitted