When it’s cold and dark outside there’s nothing better than a warming bowl of comfort food and your favourite boxset. Healthy eating doesn’t have to go out the window when autumn arrives as there are plenty of hearty, wholesome recipes that are easy to cook up at home. This red lentil dhal with crispy kale will get your taste buds tingling. The red lentils are packed full of fibre and protein, and combined with lots of spices and herbs. We’ve added crispy kale which is bursting with antioxidants and our high-fibre pitta breads to help scoop up the dhal.
1. Rinse the lentils until the water runs clear. Add them to a deep saucepan with 600ml of water and bring to the boil. Add the lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until soft.
2. Meanwhile, on a medium heat in a deep casserole dish or frying pan add the oil and fry the onion for 8 minutes until soft.
3. Finely chop the garlic and ginger and add to the pan with the onions. Fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the spices to the pan and heat for 1 minute.
5. Add the tin tomatoes (if using plum make sure you break them up first) to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. The tomato juice should start to evaporate and look like a thicker pasta sauce.
6. Whilst the tomatoes are simmering, prepare the kale. Spread the kale leaves out onto a baking tray (or 2) and drizzle over the extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes turning regularly until crisp.
6. Add the lentils to the tomato pan, make sure you use a sieved spoon to scoop the lentils out if there is still liquid in the pan. You can alter the thickness by adding more water.
7. Stir through chopped fresh coriander (leaves and stalks) and simmer on a low heat for 8 minutes.
8. Serve the dhal with a large handful of crispy kale, fresh coriander leaves and pitta breads.
Serves 2-3 as a main or 4 as a side dish
Time: 30-40 mins
250g dried red Lentils
Rapeseed oil (or another cooking oil)
1 white onion
4 cloves of garlic
Large thumb size piece of ginger
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tin tomatoes (chopped or plum)
For the crispy kale
1 large bag of kale
Extra virgin olive oil
Pinch or salt and pepper
Optional: rice, avocado