These skewers are easy to put together and only take 10-12 minutes on the BBQ. You can use any firm white fish but instead of using cod, try a different fish. If you don’t eat fish, you could use halloumi instead. We’ve paired it with red pepper and courgette which are both in season, and flavoured it with a simple pesto.
1. If using wooden skewers, place them in a large dish and cover with cold water, this will stop them burning.
2. Cut the fish and red pepper in to 2cm chunks, the courgette in to 1cm slices and the onion into wedges, and put all of them in a bowl.
3. Add the pesto and half of the lemon juice to the bowl and massage it in to the chunks gently with your hands.
4. Remove the skewers from the water and thread the chunks gently on to the skewers, alternating between fish and veg. Try not to pack them too tightly or they will take longer to cook.
5. Cook the skewers on a hot barbeque for 10-12 minutes or until colour begins to appear on the edges of the veg and the fish is cooked through. Turn every couple of minutes to get a nice and golden colour on all sides.
6. Once cooked, transfer to a serving platter and serve with a fresh salad and toasted or chargrilled pitta breads.
Prep time: less than 10 mins
Cook time: 10-15 mins
400g white fish like hake, haddock, or cod, skin removed and deboned
1 red pepper, deseeded
1 small red onion, skin removed
2 tbsp. pesto
Juice of 1 lemon
6 wooden or metal skewers