This is a nutritious twist on the classic fish and chip takeaway. We’ve coated the fish in breadcrumbs made from The Food Doctor pitta bread and baked it in the oven rather than deep frying. We’ve served it with roasted sweet potato wedges as they’re a great source of vitamin A (eye health) and garden peas which are rich in vitamin C (immune system), and made a delicious yogurt and parsley sauce to go with the fish. You can use any white fish for this recipe rather than just cod or hake. Next time you’re in the supermarket head on over to the fish counter and try a new white fish.
1. Heat the oven to 180C fan. Wash the sweet potatoes and chop them into chunky wedges. Lay them out onto a baking tray and drizzle them with extra virgin olive oil, paprika and sea salt, and rub the seasoning into the wedges. Roast the wedges in the oven for 15 minutes while you prepare the fish.
2. Get yourself 3 bowls. Toast the pitta bread and then pulse in a food processor until fine breadcrumbs form. Add the breadcrumbs to one of the bowls with the parmesan and paprika, and give it a good stir. Crack the egg into the second bowl and beat gently. Add the wholemeal flour to the third bowl.
3. To help remove any excess water and make the fish really meaty, sprinkle the fish fillets with a pinch of salt and pepper. Dust the fish in a light coating of wholemeal flour, then dip into the egg and then the breadcrumbs to coat. Give the wedges a turn and roast the fish in the oven with the wedges for a further 20 minutes.
4. To make the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a processor and blend until combined. If you don’t have a blender you can just chop all of the ingredients, add them to a bowl and give it a good stir.
5. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the fish, and serve with the wedges, yogurt and parsley dip, and some peas, broccoli or fresh greens.
1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp smoked paprika
Pinch of coarse sea salt
1 The Food Doctor pitta bread, toasted
1 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
½ tsp paprika
1 egg, beaten
2 fillets of white fish
Pinch of sea salt and pepper
1 tbsp wholemeal flour
4 tbsp Greek yogurt or half fat crème fraiche
1 garlic clove, minced or finely grated
½ lemon, juiced
Pinch of salt and pepper